Thursday, September 11, 2003

Remembering September 11th

I still remember Sept 11, 2001 very clearly. I was still in bed after returning late night from work. We had deliverables to finish within couple of months and time was precious. Around 7 am, my friend called me and said 'Dude, check the news quickly'. I said 'why? whats happened?" still in transient state with just 5 hours of sleep. He said ' just check CNN. Do it now' and hung up. Reluctantly, I dragged myself to living room and switched on the TV. What
I saw was mind blowing. After making sure that I was really watching CNN and not some action movie. I checked other networks, MSNBC, Fox, ABC...All were showing the same images over and over again of WTC tower being hit. Just few mins later, breaking news was another plane had hit the second tower and Pentagon had been hit. As the seriousness of the situation dawned upon me quickly, I tried to recollect if I had any friends there. I had a few friends there, I got in touch with them and made sure that they were ok. Apparently they were watching the 2nd plane hit the WTC while standing across the Hudson river. Whole incident was absolutely horrifying and defies any attempts to describe it. I had been through something similar in Mumbai during 1992 bomb blasts, when terrorists had struck all over mumbai (Bombay) with 12 bombs and hundreds of lives lost. I later learned that I too had lost a dear friend in WTC attacks. I had worked with Alok Agarwal for over 2 years. He was a very bright, dedicated and compassionate person.
He is survived by his Wife and Son. My heart and my prayers go out for all the 9/11 innocent victims. May all your souls rest in peace. You will always be a part of this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home